Question
Posted by: Bee-Bee | 2011-02-21

Full moon

Hi there Prof,

What is your take on the full moon and some individual''s moods? I heard that some people get grumpy and snappy and irritable... and I must admit.. to me it looks like there could be some truth in it: couples are fighting and breaking up over full moon, most people are snappy and grumpy - I even feel very irritable and grumpy when it is full moon for no reason.

Thank you  -)

This is indeed a traditional belief, and there is a little bit of scientific evidence ( though still controversial ) that there are more emergency psych admissions to hospital when there's a full moon. And indeed. that's the origin of the term "lunatic".

No clear explanation as yet - maybe an effect on tidal flow within the chambers of our brains ? I'm not sure that most people are necessarily more grumpy during full moon - some of us are just darn grumpy most of the time, and some of us don't notive the phase of the moon unless we're out at night and drop the car keys.

2
Posted by: Moon Beam | 2011-02-21

Hence the name lunatic - CS to explain.

Reply to Moon Beam