Question
Posted by: zandile | 2010-02-09

fufunyane

im a very conserned daughter. id like to know if this fufunyane syndrome can be heald. how? and is it contageous? im also conserned for my deskmate whose suffering from this syndrome. please advise. URGENT. PORT ELIZABETH

OK, z, firstly it absolutely is NOT contagious. Nobody can "catch" it. Strictly speaking, it is a culture-bound disorder, that is it is a sign of emotional distress expresed in a specific way acording to the beliefs of a particular culture, and is just not seen in that form in other cultures.
But basically, it is about the underlying emotional distress. It is best diagnosed by a shrink or doc who understands that set of cultural beliefs and respects them, but treatment is effective, and generally attends to the underlying emotional problems and stresses and distresses, and incorporates any other healing practices which are believed in by the same set of cultural beliefs.
Now, if your desk-mate is as you believe suffering from such a condition, is this what she believes, as well as you ? Is she seeking help ? What help is available to her ?
Probably it would be most useful to calmly discuss with her your concern that she doesn't seem well, and see if she can be persuaded to seek help from a suitable clinic or doc, to whom you can describe what you have noticed and your concerns, as well of course as her being able to expres her own point of view.

3
Posted by: manho | 2010-02-11

Qwerty, fufunyane is schrezophonia excuse my spelling but it does exist dear.

Reply to manho
Posted by: qwerty | 2010-02-09

Google tells me that " fufunyane"  means being inhabited by an evil, African spirit. My personal opinion would be that this is not in fact a real problem, and it may be that certain people (perhaps suffering from other, real problems) are labeled as such by others who may not know better.
At the very least I can assure you, that it would certainly not be contagious.
If you are concerned for someone who has been identified as having this problem, and they are in fact displaying some worrying symptoms, DO take them to a properly qualified medical professional. There might not be any evil spirits involved at all.....

Reply to qwerty