Question
Posted by: Ronel | 2009/11/05

FSH of 9 on CD3

What are my chances of conceiving naturally with an FSH of 9 on CD3? I am 35, I have regular cycles and endometriosis stage 2, but cleared with a laparoscopy.

Should I have a day 21 progesterone test done to see if I infact ovulate?

What other tests are available to see ovarian reserve? Is it expensive?

I used to suffer form PCOS but my bloodtests show its clear. I still get excessive hair growth on my face though. Why is that?

Sorry for all the questions!!!

Dear Ronel

Day-2 or day-3 FSH of 9 usually indicates a poor ovarian reserve. However having a poor ovarian reserve with regular cycles does not necessarily mean that you wouldn’t be able to conceive naturally. It is just one of the tests that one uses to predict ovarian reserve and stimulation outcome. A day-21 progesterone test will in fact tell you if you are ovulating or not. There are other tests available to check for ovarian reserve and they are a pelvic ultrasound to assess the ovaries for antral follicles and these antral follicles are then counted and if they reach a significant number per ovary will also be predictive of ovarian reserve. There is another test called AMH (anti-mullerian hormone), which is also a very good predictor of ovarian reserve. The actual cost of this, I am unable to tell you but you should be able to obtain that from a laboratory. despite your blood test showing clear the fact that you have PCOS is usually the cause of excessive hair growth.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2009/11/18

Dear Ronel

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert