Posted by: SJN | 2009-01-12

Frys vegetarian foods

good morning,

My husband and i have recently decided to try and cut meat out of our diet. We have started to eat frys vegetarian products. My questions are as follows:

1) Are these products full of fat?
2) will they contain enough protein for us?
3) are they bad for you?
4) are they better for you than meat?

We want to make our diet more healthy and lower in fat

Dear SJN
I am not acquainted with the brand name you mention namely 'Frys' - are you in South Africa or the UK or elsewhere? In South Africa there are meat replacement products such as Toppers available which are made from soy beans. If the Frys products are also made of soy beans and contain less than 3 g of fat per serving (check the label) then they are not high-fat foods. As regards protein, I can only say that meat replacers made from soy beans are generally a source of adequate protein for adults, esp if you are not going to cut milk, yoghurt, cheese and eggs out of your diet. The latter foods provide more than enough high quality protein for adults. I cannot comment on the Frys products because I am not acquainted with them, but generally speaking if such soy products are produced in a reputable factory then they should not be 'bad' for you. Both meat and vegetable protein foods have a place in a balanced diet. Soy beans and other legumes (lentils, dry cooked beans and peas, tofu, etc) are a good source of plant protein, vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre so they are certainly healthy and low in fat and generally do not contain any cholesterol provided no other fats have been added during processing (for example to improve the flavour). If you cut out all meat, fish, milk and dairy products and eggs, then you will need to take an iron and vitamin B12 supplement and make sure that you are obtaining calcium from foods such as calcium-enriched soy milk to avoid deficiencies.

fry s product are excellent. I like schnitzel and chicken strips. The best product in SA is Quorn. Its soy and meat free .You can buy it in food stores.

Posted by: mrs singh | 2015-03-31

good day as a frys vegetarian customer myself i found some fry's produsts is very bad tasting.i had bought the korma curry fry's product in checkers last month.i cooked it but it was so bitter tasting that that nobody ate the curry. i guess you are adding too much of tumeric powder in the product. barcode of this product is 6005207000956 korma curry pieces. thanks mrs singh

Reply to mrs singh
Posted by: Gerald | 2015-02-26

Why can I not get your Fry's sausages 8 pack ( which is a Green box) in Toowoomba Suppermarkets??? They very nice and we would like to have them back here again. I tried to get on to your but could not. thanks for your reply. Gerald

Reply to Gerald
Posted by: Gogga | 2009-01-13

Fry' s is South African. The fat content is listed in very small print on the box. It' s surprisingly high. I guess without fat it would taste horrible. The sausages have the least fat, I avoid the crumbed schnitzels and things. At least they don' t contain cholesterol, but there is saturated fat in them.

Reply to Gogga