Frustrated indoor cat...

2 years ago we moved into a second floor townhouse. My cat has access to the balcony but no garden and can' t get outside to roam. The vet said it would be better for him to stay indoors, he is 10 yrs old and was a fighter. Lately he is very frustrated, attacking furniture and I can see he is not 100% happy. Have lots of toys for him and try to play often. Unfortunately letting him out is not an option. Would it help to get a female cat to play with (worried he wont accept another cat and will make it worse)? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Dear Anon

A Feliway Diffuser is all I can recommend.

this is going to be a very weird suggestion, but i have a friend who takes her two cats to the beach in a pram. When they get there they run wild, but I' m not recommending you take them to the beach. But maybe getting a pram (completely closed in, but pet can see out) so that you can take him outside might help.

Although I don' t know if it would make him realise what he is missing more...

Posted by: Carrie | 2009-07-10

Gosh this really is a difficult one, unlike dogs you cant walk a cat ! Although I have seen it done in Europe...perhaps you could give it a try? I have a friend who went through the same issues, and the 2nd cat only exacerbated the issue...have you got plants etc on the balcony to make it "  garden like" . has your cat been mention it was a fighter? Perhaps your cat is a bit depressed? Trry seeing the vets for some help?

Reply to Carrie

Try getting a scratch post.