Question
Posted by: Lee-Ann | 2010/11/30

Frustrated

Hi CS

How on earth can I get rid of my thin skin? I''m so extremely sensitive that it''s really impeding me on all levels - especially bothersome (euphemistically put!!!) at work. Today - or rather, yesterday,as I''ve not been able to sleep directly as a result of this incident - well, yesterday, my boss had a go at me in a BAD way, for something which really wasn''t my fault. Believe me, when I''ve made a mistake, I would be the first to own up to it and bear the consequences, but in this particular instance I was completely innocent!! I don''t want to go into details as to the nature of the incident, because it''s not really the point. What''s bothering me, is that I burst out crying in front of my boss and everyone else present - basically entire office, cleaners included! and then i couldn''t STOP the waterworks...it was a veritable nightmare! The more I tried to get a grip, which was SO necessary, as I was about to go into an extremely vital meeting with very important clients, well, the less I was able to calm down. Which only angered my boss even more. I''m sure everyone thought I was SUCH a pathetic, incompetent imbecile, emotionally unstable, unprofessional, etc etc etc. I kind of expected my boss to tell me to go home and never return!! I know...kind of fatalistic, but that''s honestly what I thought.
Eventually I managed to get my emotions under some semblance of control...until I went to the tearoom during lunch, and a friend/colleague of mine said to me that today will pass, and that I should remember that I''m " awesome" , regardless of what our boss had told me earlier. This made me burst out in tears yet again!

Now i''m 1) petrified of facing my boss tomorrow morning - well, actually later today!!! and 2) angry at myself for being so pathetic. also ashamed of my behaviour. How should I handle this, and how can I prevent something like this from happening in the future? Maybe I should just resign from this company, as I''ve made SUCH an utter fool of myself yesterday... :-(

It's important to read this incident as indicating an error and a weakness on the part of your boss, not of you, yourself. PLEASE don't catastrophize this event, which I am certain is far less significant and earth-moving for everyone else than it has been for you. Don't resign. They clearly think a lot of you, and good grief, given your great skill at self-criticism, they can't even compete in thinking less of you than you do yourself.
Seeing a practical counsellor / therapist of the CBT persuasion, will help you to get things into more confortable proportion, and to enhance your self-esteem and self-confidence.
You will, with a litle help, get well beyond this, strengthen yourself without losing all the best bits of you, and learn to enjoy the job again quite soon, and to be les harsh on yourself

2
Posted by: lizard | 2010/11/30

please dont judge yourself so harshly, we all have a melt down sooner or later and more than once in a life time, no-one has died
of embarrasment yet, screw them, just get on with your job today and do what you have to do. DONT hand in your notice, God will give you the strength you need, so just go for it. You never know maybe your boss will say sorry to you, and even if he/she does nt, dont worry life has allways been hard and unfair
you have to fight back, the meltdown came from a combination of things, something or someone is loading too much crap on hour back, take stock of your life, and get rid of whatever is burdening you like that, not easy but give it a try...and remember one day at a time and the good Lord will give you the strength to carry on, you just have to ask, hope you have a good strong day...

Reply to lizard