Posted by: Jay | 2009-03-05

Hi Doc,

I am really hoping you can help me. Since January I have changed my lifestyle significantly but don' t seem to be seeing any benefits. I didn' t exercise at all last year and basically ate whatever I wanted to. Since Jan I have been really good about what I eat, ie bran cereal for breakfast, salad or low fat sandwich for lunch and chicken/fish for dinner with a salad. I have also started running, approx 45m per day and yet when I get on the scale I am heavier than I was in January...

Do you have any advise for me, I am feeling so frustrated.

Dear Jay
Congratulations on making so many positive changes to your lifestyle. I think the reason why you weigh more is because you are developing muscle tissue which weighs more than fat tissue. So please also check out your vital dimensions and measure them once a week to see if you are losing fat which will be evident if you lose cm, even when you don't lose weight (kg).
Keep up the good work