Question
Posted by: Hennie Nel | 2011/01/19

Fruit and diabetes

I have recently been diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic and attend a diabetic clinic to sort out medicine, excersize and diet. I have been quite successful in adapting to everything that I need to do and have seen a dramatic decline in sugar levels in less than a month. I think I am on the right track as far as timing and portions are concerned about the diet. The one thing I am not sure of is the fruit portions. Is it best to eat the fruit during midday and evening meals or is it better to eat it when you take your midday or evening snacks.

Dear Hennie
I am glad that you are progressin so well with your diet, medications and exercise. This should help you to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels well under control. Did you get a chance to discuss your diet with a registered dietitian at this diabetic clinic? If not, I would highly recommend that you should consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), because all patients with diabetes and insulin resistance should be given an individual diet prescription by a dietitian that takes all your individual factors into account (age, weight, level of activity, type of medication, etc, etc).The dietitian will work out how many fruit portions you can have in a day and also at what time of the day. For example on days when you do exercise it may be better to have 1-2 fruit portions during exercise to provide rapid energy release to fuel your physical activity. On other days you may need to have 1 fruit portion at your main meals.
So please do consult a registered dietitian for an individual diabetic diet prescription.

1

Dear Hennie