Posted by: Irene | 2010-06-08

Fruit Alergy?

My boyfriend loves fruit but when he eats some of them he gets a really itchy throat and sore ears. He can eat fruits like bananas, litchis and tomatoes, but things like apples, nectarines, and other fruit that you eat the skin to really effect him. Even if you peel the fruit it still does the same and it really is uncmfortable.

I dont know what it is and he refuses to go to get it checked, so i wanted to find out if this is common, is it anything to be worried about, is there anything he can take for it and what is it?

Thank You in advance!

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Irene

This could be a sign of sensitivity to these fruits, but he will have to see a specialist on the field to establish the extent of the problem . His GP can guide you in the right direction. Certain food allergies are linked to more severe and potentially life threatening allergies, such as cross allergies between latex and certain foods. (ie bananas, kiwi fruit , chessnuts and avocados). Fruit allergies are fairly common, but each case is individual, and should be dealt with as such.