Question
Posted by: Barry | 2012/09/05

Fruit

Hi there,

I''m trying to follow a healthy diet and hopefully loose a couple of kg''s but this morning I''ve realised that I may be eating too much fruit.

In a breakfast smoothie I have a cup of mixed berries and a banana. For a mid morning snack I have an 18g dried fruit bar and then a pair with lunch.

Would this be considered too much when it comes to sugar?

Dear Barry
Generally speaking the recommendations for a balanced diet include "Eat 5 vegetables and fruit a day", with the emphasis on vegetables. Most vegetables have a lower sugar content than fruits. You report that you are eating about 6 servings of fruit a day which may be excessive. There are of course some people who eat only fruit and nuts ("fruitarians"), but I would recommend that you start replacing some of these fruit portions with vegetables instead.
Enjoy

2

Dear Barry
Enjoy

Posted by: Barry | 2012/09/05

Thought I''d give a full summary of my diet/exercise plan to see if I''m on the right track -

Breakfast - 1 banana, cup of mixed berries, cup low fat yoghurt, scoop whey protein and teaspoon flaxseed

Snack - 18g dried fruit stick

Lunch - Wholweat sandwich with spinach &  rocket leaves and 3 slices shaved turkey. Use low fat cottage cheese instead of margerine. 1 pear

Snack - handful almonds

Dinner - Generally a chicken salad (no cheese, olives or avo but add cooked mushrooms or sprouts) or oven baked fish with a veg.

Trying to get to gym as often as possible but only managing 2 - 3 times of 30 mins cardio.

I only want to lose a couple of Kg''s (max 5) but don''t want to be going about it wrong.

Any suggestions on the diet Doc?

Reply to Barry