Posted by: C | 2009-06-24

This may be a silly question, but I want to know if one can eat too much fruit per day. I am not on a diet, but I try to eat healthy during the week, i.e. Activia Yogurt for breakfast and then a fruit every hour or two, e.g. an apple at 09:00, a banana at 10:00 and a pear at 11:30. I then eat a Cup-a-Soup for lunch and then again an apple and/or orange or a yogurt at 15:00. Normal supper at night. I don' t really like breakfast cereals or bread as I tend to stay hungry throughout the day when I eat bread. Am I eating too much fruit?

Dear C
This is not at all a silly question. It is theoretically possible to eat so much fruit that you push up your energy intake and gain weight. On the other hand, some people who eat practically only fruit may develop deficiencies of a variety of nutrients (e.g. iron, zinc, calcium, protein, omega-3 fatty acids, etc). The diet you describe only includes 4 fruits, which together with 1-2 vegetables with supper, will just about achieve the "5-A-Day" of fruit and vegetables that are recommended by nutrition experts throughout the world. You are not having an excessive fruit intake and as you are substituting fruit for the foods you are not fond of, you will also not gain weight with this diet.