Fruit #2

I have never been one to eat and enjoy food. People live to eat, I eat to live.

I can go for days with no food (I do drink lots of liquid) and unless someone reminds me, I tend not to eat at all so eating a fruit salad each night is a huge step for me already.

I am not depressed, I have a stable job, I am married with 3 kids.I am happy.

I have been like this as long as I can remember (before school)

Dear Anonymous
Thank you for giving me some more details about your food intake. I must say that I have not often heard of this type of anhedonia regarding food. If you are not interested in food, then you still have a duty to ensure that you ingest sufficient food of good quality of keep you healthy and alive - so that you can look after your 3 children. You may not at the moment suffer from any direct symptoms associated with vitamin, protein, mineral or essential fatty acids deficiencies, but if you only eat a bowl of fruit salad a day, you will develop such deficiencies and over time this will make you ill. I would really recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to help you work out what your minimum food intake should be to prevent deficiencies and long-term deterioration.