Question

Frozen herbs

When buying fresh parsley/coriander etc its normally so much that i know it will go off before i use it all, i have started putting them in small plastic containers filled with water and freezing them. Is this ok and safe and for how long can they be kept frozen before using? also how much if any of the nutrients are lost this way? i prefer fresh to the crushed oily stuff in shops.

Dear Reader
Fresh herbs are much better tasting than processed herbs. You can keep fresh herbs in an airtight container for up to 10 days in a normal refrigerator. I am not sure if the consistency of the herbs will be good if you freeze them in water as thawing will rupture the cells of the herbs. But I suppose if you are going to use your thawed herbs in cooked dishes this will not be an issue. Generally speaking "fragile" fresh foods such as strawberries and other berries are frozen "as is" in plastic bags after removing the air in the bag with a straw. In the case of berries one adds sugar mixed with ascorbic acid to prevent discolouration. I would also try freezing the herbs without water in plastic bags, extracting the air in the bag and then putting them in the freezer. I would think they should keep for about 3 months. Freezing usually retains most of the nutrients provided the food is not exposed to oxygen, which is why one removes the air from the container before freezing the food.
Enjoy the herbs!