Question
Posted by: Terry | 2011/05/08

Frown Lines

I want to talk about how i can get rid off or reduce the appearance of frown lines.

Since i was 17 (now 21) i''ve had a very noticable frown line on my forehead. Ever since then I''m been very self-conscious of it and have very low self-esteem because of it. I feel it''s not normal for someone as young as me to already have wrinkles on their face. So i really want to do something about it, so that i can feel better about myself and become more confident.

So what i wanted to ask you is what treatments/products are out there to help remove or lessen the appearance of wrinkles?

Also, I''ve been thinking of possiblly getting botox injections but i have afew questions about it:

-Is it best going to see your local GP first before going to a botox clinic?

- I''ve read the effects of botox are only temporay and can last up to approx. 3 or 4 months. Considering i''m only 21, could the effects of botox last longer with someone my age?

- And if i was to keep getting further botox injections, will the effects last for a longer amout of time?

Thankyou for taking time to read this, and hope to hear from you soon.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Terry, thank you for the question.

Generally speaking your best treatment option for visible or noticeable frown lines (the vertical wrinkle/s that develops between the eyebrows) and for forehead lines (horizontal wrinkle/s) is Botox. As these lines are formed by facial expression muscles there are unfortunately no topical products that will give one adequate improvement of these lines.

Your most important ‘treatment’ is a good SPF 50 or higher that contains zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide and to practice sun avoidance as much as possible (hat, umbrella, etc.).
The treatment effect and duration of Botox varies from person to person so it is difficult to say how long the effects will last for and if a longer duration can be expected the longer one uses the Botox.

It may be good advice to ask your GP for a recommendation to a reputable aesthetic medical practitioner but please remember that Botox and filler treatments should not be performed in a beauty salon (even by a registered medical practitioner) according the SA Health Council.

3
Posted by: Jack | 2011/07/10

dear doctor, am 37( male ) starting to develop vertical frown lines on both sides on the edges of my nose down to my lips, obviously am not happy of them since they causing low self esteem and i read your respond to one article about botox not to be done in beauty spa''s, were you responding based on the age of the patient? or is it not recommended as i was preparing to take the treatment from one of the recommend spa in Gauteng.

Reply to Jack
Posted by: phiilip | 2011/07/07

Dr, I am 65(male) and is lately getting a wrinkle a day on forehead.
Horizontal and vertical. Is their any abnormality,can drinking more
help)i do not drink much-or is that normal ageing. Do not smoke or drink. Possible medication- special soap or cream?

THANKS

Reply to phiilip
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/05/16

Hi Terry, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert