Question
Posted by: Karikaad | 2009-01-05

Front upper legs in pain

My legs have been in pain for almost 2 months now. It is both my upper legs in front with muscle contractions. I have been to 4 different doctors already and they say it is tension in my back. All the medicine they have given me, does not work. I feel something else is wrong with me. I also have a feeling in my legs that feels like sharp needles and I cant take any material/clothes on my legs because it hurts. Can you please help me? I am in desperate need because I cant take this pain anymore. Thank you.

Dear Karikaad
Possible causes could be:
1. Meralgia paresthetica - causes tingling, numbness or other sensations on the upper thigh. It is caused by nerve damage to one of the nerves coming from the spine to the thigh region.
2. Low phosphate levels
3. Injury or inflammation of the muscles or tendons of the thigh - like ileotibial band syndrome -when a band of a tendon rubs over the outer bone (lateral condyle) of the knee
4. cramping of the muscles of the thigh due to low magnesium or calcium
5. referring pain from a hip problem

You need at least an x/ray of the bone of the thigh, hip, as well as a low back x/ray
Blood tests: Full blood count, phosphate, calcium and magnesium levels
Preferably an evaluation by a physiotherapist to check for nerve compression
Possibly a MRI of the back to check for slipped discs
Referral to a neurologist or neurosurgeon if signs of nerve compression are found

1
Posted by: Miquette Ferguson | 2014-10-04

I have been for xrays and fisho. I'm using magnesium and calsium fillings now for over 2 years but stil I'm sitting with front upper leg pains.

Reply to Miquette Ferguson