Posted by: Jay | 2012-03-05

from severe acne, to severe bone pain

What kind of specialist would I see for severe joint and muscle pain caused by Roaccutane? I am one month post -treatment and some days, still can hardly walk. The knees are swollen and arthritic-looking (sort of gnarled and warped), and the pain within those knees cannot be described in words.

I cannot gym except for upper body and I have had to drop out of all walks and races I had signed up for. I cannot walk or stand for longer than 30 minutes and turning over in bed is painful. I need a specialist trained in severe inflammatory conditions not caused by physical stress but by Vitamin A toxicity, which I think is the case here. What kind of person would I make an appt with, and if there is a long waiting list before I see that person, is there a supplement I can take in the meantime? I was on a very high dosage, 100mg a day (I weigh 54kg) but it is only at that dosage that my skin cleared to an acceptable level. In a sense this is the lesser evil, the horrid bone pain, because the chronic cystic acne spanning 27 years used to keep me in the house unless I was going to work or to the shops :( Bone damage is the lesser evil, but still how do I fix it?

thank you

You will have to consult your doctor for an examination, blood tests and a referral to a rheumatologist.