Question
Posted by: Jenna | 2009/11/05

From low blood pressure to high blood pressure

I have been on an exercise programme for a month where I train 5-6 days a week. I have also eaten much healthier this month, reducing take-aways and too much fat. I took all my vital stats today to benchmark my progress and was alarmed when the machine said I had high blood pressure: 148/58 or something to that effect. I remember the top number was above normal and the bottom one was fine. This is confusing because I have always suffered from low blood pressure. Plus, surely the exercise and dietary changes are a good influence.

Should I be concerned and what could cause such a high reading? I measured my blood pressure 5 minutes after resistance training on the treadmill, where you go fast and slow for 20 minutes. Could the fast and slow maybe have had an effect?

Thanks!

Hallo Jenna
don't measure your bloodpressure directly after exercising - do it before you exercise. Exercise increases your blood pressure temporarily.

2
Posted by: Jenna | 2009/11/09

Thank you very much. Will test tomorrow before exercising. I just realised that if my blood pressure is still high, it' s probably from thes stress of buying a home now! Very stressful  )

Reply to Jenna
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/11/05

Hallo Jenna

Reply to cyberdoc