Posted by: Pups | 2009-01-27

Frogs and dogs

Are frogs poisonous for dogs? We have a frog in our garden which keeps returning, even though we have removed it many times. We also blocked off gaps in the walls and gates, but to no avail. I think it is the " plat anna"  variety frog. Brown speckled with knobs on its head. The skin appears dry and not slimy. I have also removed all water sources (dog' s water bowl is removed at night) and taken the bottom struts off the dog kennel as the frog hid there during the day. The frog comes out at night and I am afraid to let my puppy out then for walkies as she chases the frog up and down the garden with great glee, trying to bite the frog and sniffing it with great curiosity!

Thanks a lot!

Dear Pups

I mild allergic reaction, frothing at the mouth is usually all that happens. Relax on this one.

good evening i just want to thank you all for the soothing information..i was really stressed for a min since my 10 month old pup decided to hunt and came across a frog. also foaming from the mouth lips are swollen tongue inflamed and she did throw up a bit..with alot of drool i have neutralized her just in-case. using charcoal and milk neutralizing the toxins.i brought her inside just in-case. this frog was what looked yellow and green about the size of my hand.

My 10 month old puppy ate the spawn we threw out the pool, he foamed at the mouth, vomited got diareah and died within the hour. Very tragic the spawn must be covered in toxins to prevent predation in the wild

Posted by: Carol | 2009-01-27

Living on a farm the frogs are toys for my crew .. I diigently do the rounds every evening to remove all the frogs and put them out of the yard and the enxt night they are back.

All I have ever seen is a frothy mouth.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2009-01-27

Hi Pup, I seem to think that there is something about certain frogs that dogs can be allergic to. When I was a child we had a Boxer + a X/Labrador. They played with a frog one day + both ended up with swollen puffy lips. The Boxer' s eyelids were also all swollen. Can' t remember what my mother gave them but the next day they were ok. So yes, there does seem 2 b something there. Can somebody else shed some light on this?

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: WR | 2009-01-27

Don' t stress - The pup won' t eat the frog - and the foaming is the frog' s natural protection against inquisitive pups.

Reply to WR
Posted by: baby dog | 2009-01-27

Hi Pups - let me start by saying that I' m no expert.
My pup also has a frog friend who lives under her kennel. They play every evening, in fact she (the frog) is such a regular visitor that we gave her a name (Pamela). Their first encounter involved my pup coming into the house very excited and foaming at the mouth! Freak out time for me - I followed her outside to her new friend. Rinsed her mouth out with water and she went straight back to Pam! Since the foaming mouth she only plays with her feet. Pamela (i think also a plat anna) is incredibly tough and comes back for more every evening.

Reply to baby dog