Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/05/19

friendships suck

dear doc

i''ve recently had a kinda nervous ''break down''. a doctor adjusted my medication of aropax and also wellbutrin. i suffer from OCD. anyway i think one of the triggers for my break down was one of my friendships ending. this friend and i saw eachother everyday,we spent allot of time together, we were best friends and all of a sudden he ended the friendship. he told me the most horrid things about myself when we parted and to this day he is nasty to say the least. now this wouldn''t be a problem because usually if i don''t see a person i forget about them, but the thing is he studies the same degree as me-i see him daily, we live in the same commune and we work at the same place in vacation time. everytime i see him i get in a complete state, i''m so hurt and its been weeks. how do i get over this?

Friendships do end, but why on earth would he have felt justified in being unpleasant and unkind about it ? Living in the same commune makes him hard to avoid, but might have given room for you to have done something that offended him, or for something to happen he misinterpreted in that way. But you do have a free choice to choose NOT to feel bad about this, and to remind yourself that someone who could be cruel towards you was probably never the friend you thought him to be

1