Posted by: Jay Jay | 2009-03-27

Its lunch time, my gf and i are joined by two friends ( a guy and a lady) to the mall. One of the friends makes fun out of me and veryone seems to enjoy it .My gf is also very vocal in mocking me. I must say i am a very sensitive but sweet guy. So i feel terribly offended coz i have never been a subject of fun and donot do that to others. Am i a bit too sensitive ? Should i have been party to making fun of myself? Seeing that we as friends have known each other for more than a year and nothing like this ever happened , how do i make it known to them that this is not the kind of fun i like, without making them feel like im trying to choose how they want to have their fun.My fear has always been that if one entertains such kind of things pple end up not seeing the cut-off line between fun and redicule. Thanks

I don't think you're over-sensitive, they were very rude indeed. WOuld they have enjoyed it had you poked fun at them ? Why not, if you meet them again, simply say quietly, that they may have found this funny, but you found it hurtful, and would appreciate it if they didn't do this to you again, or, inded, to anyone else. You won't be spoiling their fun. If this is the only sort of fun they can think of having, they're not worth keeping company with.
Laughing at oneself is wholesome ; laughing WITH someone is wholesome ; laughing at someone, who is not trying to be funny, is cruel

Posted by: Liza | 2009-03-27

One of the greatest gifts a person can give to him/herself is the ability to laugh at themselves. This does not come easy to most people. Its something that has to be learnt - like CBT. So buck up that self-esteem a little and find something every day about yourself that you can laugh at. My boss and colleagues and myself! were practically rolling on the floor this morning during our daily meeting, because the nightbell rang during our meeting today - a very loud, high, shrill sound and I immediately suggested that we take a glass of water, and dip the speaker of the bell into it. A colleague who always has the wit to say something clever, said that I seemed to have thought the situation through - with a deadpan face and everyone just burst out laughing. Everyone hates the darn thing because we cannot pick up the incoming calls from our desks. And our receptionist is on leave, so there' s no-one to answer the switchboard - making incoming calls go over to the nightbell...

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Kelly | 2009-03-27

Well i think you perhaps being a bit too sensitive.
Well i hate those too! Simple hate it but i just pretend it dsnt bother me on the occasion that is does happen.
I don' t see why people do it thought because i wouldnt think i doing that to someone else.
Then on the other hand i also think to myself well maybe im just bein over sensitive, well thats what my bf says.
Some peeple just don' t understand.

Reply to Kelly