Question
Posted by: Voh | 2012/04/17

Friendly dog to everyone n thieves

Shubby (boereboer) is friendly to everyone including thieves

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Voh, nice to hear from you. In all honesty my own belief is that for security we should have alarms, security lights etc outside our house to prevent potential thieves, and the dog inside the house to help to protect us.

Not knowing your own circumstances and more background on your question I can only assume that Shubby is an outside dog? If so, what I have seen happen in the past, is that if a dog is not allowed inside the home and feels that this is part of his territory, he will not always protect it. A dog that is allowed to be part of the family and inside the house makes a much better watch/guard dog. Imagine a potential thief being faced with a barking fierce looking dog on the inside of the house through a window - a very good deterrant! Also, doing this stops the possibility of the dog been given poison.
To give you an example of this, few years ago I had clients that only allowed their dog in the house, in certain areas. They had access to the lounge and kitchen areas, but were forbidden to to into the passage where the bedrooms were - even if the door was open, the dogs would not go through. One night they were burgled and the dogs stood at the open passage entrance going mad - they would not take a step towards the intruders! Now this was a combination of training that caused this to occur. I Shubby is sleeping and living outside, then start making him part of the family inside. Thsk

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012/04/18

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert