Question
Posted by: Tammy | 2011/04/18

Friend talks about her pet - constantly

Hi - maybe someone has some suggestions for me! My friend recently got a dog and now all she talks about is the dog.
DOn''t get me wrong I really love animals, I think her dog is adorable and I''m always happy to listen but this really is a bit much. I''m actually starting to avoid her as every time I see her all she talks about is the dog, and she''ll change the subject of whatever we talk about to make it about the dog.

I try to change the subject to talk about something else but she doesn''t seem to be getting the message. I don''t want to hurt her feelings and I don''t want it to seem like I don''t care, I''d just like to talk about something else for a change!

If she wrote really owful poems about the creature, we could call it Doggerel, I suppose.
Doesn't this sound like a variation of someone with a new love-affair or engagement, that talks about their happiness far beyond the point that anyone else is interested ? Was she perhaps a really lonely person before, who now has a pleasant love in her life ?
You could try calmly saying : You know, I also find your new dog adorable, but I would love us to also talk about other things, because you're interesting in other ways as well". Or maybe buy a budgie and get in first, telling her about each seed eaten and each feather dropped. Then when she suggests she's not quite so dotty about your pet, suggest you both cut back on the pet-talk ?

3
Posted by: Vaal Donkie | 2011/04/18

I''m like that with my two pet parrots. ALthough Recently I make a conscious effort to keep my mouth shut.

Reply to Vaal Donkie
Posted by: Leez | 2011/04/18

LOL....I know that feeling Tammy. Reminds me of my SIL, when she was pregnant, it was all she EVER spoke about!!!!! Despite the fact that everyone in the company had kids and went through the labour and childbirth saga. Everyone started avoiding her. After giving birth.....yip, you guessed it.....the topic was solely, THE BABY!!!!

Reply to Leez