Question
Posted by: Matthew | 2010/02/15

Friend suicidal

Hi Dr,

I have a friend who is severly depressed, it seems like everything has gone wrong - he lost his father a few months ago and his girlfriend just broke up with him. He was also in a car accident, which was very expensive.

He has been saying wierd things lately, like he can'  t do life anymore, and I am very worried about him. What other signs do I need to look out for in case he wants to end his life? And then, what do I do to help?

Matthew

You are right to be worried about him, and need to steer him towards a proper psych asssessment and proper professional help as soon as you can do so. Don't wait for more sighns that there is a significant risk here of him harming himself. Talk to him calmly about how this worries you and how you really want him to see a shrink or counsellor to get a proper assessment and advice on how to get out of this unpleasant and risky mood he is in

1