Question
Posted by: Worried friend | 2008/08/10

Friend struggling to accept loss of BF

A friend of mine lost her bf in an accident last year. Her father was also killed very traumatically. She is struggling to cope and is abusing drugs. It doesn' t seem like therapy is working. What can I do to help her?

I wonder what sort of therapy she has been receiving. Two points -- one is that grief is hard work, especially when there were aditional risk factors such as a very close attachment, an unexpected death, or traumatic circumstances. And it usual;ly takes some 9 months to a year to work through. The other is that all therapies are not equal. Some such as psychoanalysis and analytically oriented thera;ies are worse tha useless, and take forever to achieve little or nothing, while others such as CBT work better, more rapidly, and with more ladting benefits.