Question
Posted by: Casey | 2012/09/13

Friend in need

I have a friend who lives abroad. He is presently going through a very difficult time, especially at work. He is under a tremendous amount of pressure. Something (he has yet to tell me) happened at work and his department is now being audited. He may lose his job if it turns out badly. I do not know what to say to him to make him feel better as I do not know the reason behind this " witch hunt"  as he calls it. I am always there to listen and try and give advice, but this time I have no idea how to help him. I am really concerned about him as he suffers from diagnosed, but untreated depression (he is not using any medication at this stage).

Of course one wants to find something perfect and helpful and comforting to say to any friend in a predicament, but there is no such magic formula. All one can do is to express sympathy and hope that things will torun out well, and make it clear you're available if he wants to unburden himself by chating to you about it, by phonecall or w-mail. As he hasn't given you major relevant details, it may be that he has done something wrong, and is feeling ashamed of at least some aspects of the situation. As he is abroad, strongly advise him to see a psychiatrist for assessmetn and treatment of his depression, and counselling to help him deal with the local situation

1