Question
Posted by: Bee | 2009/12/20

Friend for dog

Dear vet

We are moving to a larger house with large garden and decided to adopt a dog from animal rescue. we have a 2 year old bulldog female at the moment. i know dogs should have a friend and we are doing this for her, but then why do I feel like I' m ' betraying'  her. this is surely the best for her am i right?

Dear Bee

I was amazed to see how my only dog enjoyed the company when we got our second one.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/12/29

Dear Bee

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2009/12/20

I agree with Steph. Most dogs love canine company, but some don' t - you must know how your dog reacts to other dogs when you' re out for a walk, say? If she' s uniformly aggressive, then perhaps she' s a loner, but if she gets along with them and wants to play, then getting her a friend is an excellent idea.

Since you' re feeling ' bad'  about this, one word of warning. If you do get another dog, let THEM decide which is the ' top dog' , and then support this - do NOT be under the misguided impression that because your current dog was there first, she should somehow be regarded as the leader, or the favoured one. If you can' t do that, then rather don' t start, because that would be a surefire way to trouble.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2009/12/20

hm, maybe its not the best thing for her. Some dogs are happy to be alone, ie the only dog provided they are not left alone all day. I suspect that most dogs would like company, provided the next pet that you choose is a suitable playmate for her she should be just fine. I think you' re perhaps being a bit oversensitive on this point.

Reply to steph