Question
Posted by: Chivaz' s mom | 2008-11-05

Friend for Chivaz

I have a 4 year old Boerboel female- she has always been the only pet (apart from my cat), we tried 3 years ago to get her a friend, but she killed the other dog (was a poodle, male). I want to know why she does that and will we never be able to get her a friend? She gets lonely when we are at work and the kids at school. She is very protective and rather vicious when it comes to other dogs and people. She recently started ' humping'  my leg...which leads me to my next Q, she has been fixed yet she still bleeds and... well.. hump my leg...huh???

Dear Chivaz's mom

The humping canb just be because she is very dominant. The bleeding is not normal. It is possible that a small piece of ovarian tissue was left behind at the time of her spay. Best to discuss the new dog, if possible with a trainer. It may be worth introducing her to a possible partner on neutral territory.

10
Posted by: ANon#2 | 2008-11-07

We are all agreed that the dog is a tad domineering/dominant, whether due to a lack of training (relationship) or odd genes (biological) - she is being bossy.
Humping your leg is unacceptable because she is sending a message of dominance, unless she is going to be the alpha female of your home. A trainer will help you to sort this out before she decides to dominate the hell out of a visitor or another dog.

Reply to ANon#2
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-06

Thanks for the kind words, Mandi - this is what makes me put up with the pompous snipers we get on here sometimes.

Behaviourist, in case you hadn' t noticed, this isn' t a University of Veterinary Science forum - all we' re doing is offering handy, practical advice. All YOU seem to be doing is playing semantics - who the hell cares whether the dog or the relationship is defined as ' dominant' ? We all know what is meant, and so, if you' re honest, do you. If you' re sufficiently interested in how we amateurs play around on this forum to keep reading it, which you evidently are, why don' t you stop sniping and criticising, and join the team with practical and useful advice, instead of blasting us all with your superior attitude?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-06

Another thing ..If I or Chill or WR or anyone of the other regulars havent learnt anything from years of keeping dogs , cats and parrots we dont deserve to have then do we ??

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-06

Thanks Mandi ... IMO this so called behaviourist is talking a load of twaddle .. but to copy and past articles that I know and Trust as well as postings on forums that I belong too is really to much PT

Reply to Carol
Posted by: wicked fairy | 2008-11-06

Perhaps Chivas should read " Handbook of Applied Behavior and Training Volume III"   )

Reply to wicked fairy
Posted by: Mandi | 2008-11-06

Dear Behaviourist,

The people who post on this forum are not qualified Animal behaviourists, nor do they claim to be. Most of the regulars have years and years of experience with a variety of animals and they transfer the extensive skills and knowledge which they have gained during the years of pet ownership.
I have no problem with what some Steven guy writes in volume III of some book, but in my opinion experience counts just as much (if not more). Most of the regulars have their “ field of expertise”  : Chill and WR are the dog people, Carol is the cat and Boxer lady and Jax is the bird guy. And I’ m sure that they have helped hundreds of worried/confused pet owners over the past few years. Their advice has certainly been invaluable to be on more than one occasion. And yes, my dogs and cats are still alive, happy and healty, given the fact that their advice is so misguided as you claim it to be.
Good day to you Sir/Madam.

Reply to Mandi
Posted by: behaviourist | 2008-11-05

This stuff is just chucked around as if self-explanatory - and it concerns me that this includes a qualified veterinarian.

As Steven R. Lindsay states in his Handbook of Applied Behavior and Training Volume III (referring to Drews'  operational definition of dominance):

" dominance is an attribute of a relationship, not an attribute of an individual animal. Indeed it is hard to speak of a dog being dominant, except in relation to some other individual who is subordinate. In other words, dominance is not a personal or biological trait per se, but a predictive inference based on a pattern of win-lose contests between two or more animals. The term dominant denotes a predictive assumption regarding the most likely outcome of any future competitive event occurring between two contestants." 

To Chivaz' s mom, I really suggest that you speak to a suitably qualified behaviourist - one that at least understands what the term ' dominance'  actually means and is able to give you some useful advice about how to proceed with Chivaz.

Reply to behaviourist
Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-05

Why do we always post toghter ?

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Carol | 2008-11-05

Sounds to me like your bitch is a dominant bitch as well as
untrained , a possibly dangerous combination IMO.

A lot of big dogs dont like small dogs , my boxer bitch wont tolerate small dogs either , but is more than happy with my male boxer.

I would suggest obedience training with your girlie and socilization classes to see how she would react with a large breed neutred male .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2008-11-05

Sounds like a very dominant dog to me, and if she' s already killed a male, I would strongly suggest that you do not get another dog. Some dogs just do not get along with others.

If she' s ' humping'  your leg as well as still bleeding, then either she wasn' t fixed properly, or she has a hormone problem, so I' d be talking to the vet about that.

I would also suggest you do a bit of reading up about dog behaviour - or perhaps consider taking her to training classes. If she' s this dominant, you do not inadvertently want to encourage her, because she' s a big dog and you don' t want her getting out of hand. You can' t afford for a big dog like that to be ' rather vicious'  when it comes to other dogs or people - please see what you can do about it NOW, before it' s too late.

Reply to Chill