Question
Posted by: Elsa | 2011-03-28

Friend bungee jumped, headache persistant

Hi, my friend did a 150 meter bungee jump a month and a half ago at BlouKrans. I filmed it, and noticed that he held his head while jumping. Afterward I questioned him about this, and he mention there were so much pressure in his head, it felt like his eyes might burst. He had a headache on the top of his head for a few days, and compared it to a babalas :-) It went away, but now, a month and a half later it returned. While eating I actually saw him frowned in tremendous pain. Luckily it were not the food :-) But unfortunately it is his head, and I worry, even if it is just me and not him, because I don''t think headache tablets and muscle relaxers are the best option. Will this be a simple matter of a pinched nerve, or a horrible thing like an anorism showing its symptoms? My friend don’ t generally show much emotion, thus I were worried when I saw that he could not hide that he is in pain, hence my email. None of the other bungee jumpers held their head, and there were about 20 of them?
Kind Regards,
Elsa

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Elsa,

Although it is unlikely that there is anything serious, it would be unwise for your friend not to have a proper examination. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
Posted by: Headache expert | 2011-03-29

Dear Elsa,

Reply to Headache expert