Posted by: Caroline | 2010-02-19

My friend''s son (18) killed himself two years ago. She is still in an absolute state about it, but doesn''t wanto to go into therapy. what on earth can I do to help?

Expert ImageTeen Suicide guest experts

Dear Friend

It is now wonder that your friend is in a terrible state, what a trauma for her, and you.

I am sure you are feeling pretty helpless. The most important thing you can do for your friend is to be there for her and allow her to talk about it. People often avoid talking about these issues, as they do not want to upset the person. Your friend needs to share how she is feeling, the anger, the guilt, all of this terrible pain, in a safe space. Let her talk to you about these things.

I really do encourage you to urge your friend to go into therapy or join a support group, even if you go with her for her first appointment. Just remember you are her friend and not her therapist, you can give emotional support, but she will need professional help to come to terms with such a difficult experience.

Good luck, you are an awesome friend