Question
Posted by: Maria | 2010/04/15

Fresh vs dried fruit

I''ve been given a diet by my doctor which prescribes two fruit for lunch. I don''t eat fresh fruit, can''t stand the taste, smell and texture. Can I substitute dried fruit?

Dear Maria
If you eat dried fruit instead of fresh fruit then you will need to be careful that you don't increase your energy intake because dried fruit has a much higher energy content than fresh fruit: For example: Fresh apricots provide 48 kJ per 100 gm, while dried apricots provide 998 kJ per 100g - nearly 20 times more energy! So have only one small portion of dried fruit instead of the 2 fresh fruits. You can also eat vegetables instead of fruit in your diet.

1

Dear Maria