Posted by: snacks | 2009-04-02

Fresh Dates - healthy snack?

Hi Diet Doc
Thanks for a great forum.
Are fresh dates a healthy snack option during the day? If so, how many in a serving? Are they very high in sugar and carbohydrates? Are they good for a maintenance diet?
Thanks for your help.

Dear Snacks
Thank you for your kind words - they make my day! Fresh dates are a healthy snack because they have a high dietary fibre content and are rich in potassium. Dates do, however, have a high energy content. I only have the value for dried dates as listed in the SA Food Tables, namely 1150 kJ per 100g. Fresh dates will probably have a slightly lower energy content because they contain more water than dried dates. Basically a 30 g portion which contains say 300 kJ (4.8% of your daily energy allowance if you are slimming or 3.6% when on a maintenance diet) should not interfere with weight. You will have to weigh your dates to check how many constitute 30g because I have noticed that fresh dates can vary a great deal in size.