Question
Posted by: Jen | 2008/09/11

freezing yoghurt destroy cultures?

Dear Doc
I like to freeze yoghurt and also cottage cheese but I was wondering how this would affect the probiotic active cultures? Do they survive the freezing process? Also, on the tub of cottage cheese is stated ' do not freeze' , however I have not noted any deterioration in taste or consistency from freezing. Why would not freezing it be suggested do you think? Many thanks for your thoughts.

Dear Jen
Theoretically live organisms can be frozen - for example most of the probiotic cultures you can buy in capsule form are freeze-dried. But the commercial freeze-drying process is fast and controlled, while home freezing can take much longer and may cause damage to the organisms. I would personally not freeze yoghurt. It can keep for adequate periods in the fridge without going off thanks to the low pH (lactic acid content). The reason why cottage cheese should not be frozen is that it can cause deterioration of the texture or consistency. The liquid fraction may form ice crystals making the thawed product watery. If you find that this does not happen and are happy with the thawed cottage cheese then that's fine.