Question
Posted by: esme | 2009/10/19

France vs SA

Dear Doc, I lived in France for two years. During this time, I lost 8kg. Despite the fact that we ate French (high GI) bread twice a day, lots of cheese, cream in almost every dish, butter not margarine, wine with every meal, olive oil vinaigrette with every salad, red meat and seafood, and the occasional (usually Saturday and Sunday mornings) croissant or " chocolate pie" . Back in SA, with low GI bread, occasional glass of wine, low fat everything, I' ve gained 10 kgs, and I miss my creamy dishes and French cheeses a lot! This state of affairs (losing on " fatty foods" , gaining on low fat food), does not make sense, if I go by all the articles and books I' ve read on losing weight. Do you have any advice?

Dear Esme
I think that like the French you were probably a lot more active and less stressed when you lived in France. If so, add exercise to your regimen and let's see if this will help you get back to losing those kgs. It is a well-known fact that many European populations eat relatively high-fat diets plus red wine, but have low meat intakes and do lots of exercise and are much slimmer than their UK, USA and SA counterparts.

1

Dear Esme