Question
Posted by: EJ | 2008/10/27

Fractured Tibia &  Fibula, Help

I am a 23 year old male, 1.79m, 90kg. I fractured my whole lower right leg while exercising in Virgin Active on the 17th of October 2008. The machine was a " standing calve raise"  one, the weight - 430kg, please note that this is the kind of weight I lift on a regular basis, this time I slipped.

Being very active, I would like to know more or less what time it will take before I can train again and what to expect in the gym, with regard to weight and intensity. Because I lift 60kg dumbbells for shoulder training etc. Will my leg hold? What should I not do? How do I strenghen this leg, as I am afraid of breaking it again?

PS. This was my first ever fracture.

Please help

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear EJ
The person best to answer you questions are the doctor who repaired the fracture as he would know better what type of fracture it was and how badly it was fractured. i'm sure that you can do upper body exercise at the moment where you don't put any strain on the leg. If you can, consult a bio-kineticist to help you with a specifically designed exercise program. Also make sure you follow a healthy diet rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals which are needed to speed up the healing. For the moment you should stay away from dumbbells- it may just fall on that injured leg!