Posted by: Ally | 2008-11-24

Formula intake

Hi doctor,

Before my baby started on any solids, he never drank a lot (in volume) of milk. He was on about 120mls a feed. (At the most) However, my paed told me not to worry as he was putting on weight and was healthy and normal and that each baby' s level of saturation was different.
At 4 months we started him on some cereal and now at 7 months he' s a fantastic eater when it comes to solids! He has cereal in the morning, veg in the afternoon and some meat/veg or veg/fruit in the evening. (All pureed) He will often also have a snack midmorning and midafternoon. (Usually some organic yoghurt or some pureed fruit) I make all his food at home and he loves it, so I' m very happy with his progess thus far.
However, he still drinks very little milk and as it should still be his main source of nutrition, I' m worried that he' s filling up on his solids and not getting enough milk. Currently he' ll only have about 3 bottles a day. (Approx 150ml a feed) Is that enough for him? I' ve tried giving him less solids and more milk, but it makes no difference. It seems he' s eating the solids because it tastes nice and not necessarily because he' s hungry! Because if he goes without he doesn' t seem to mind and doesn' t drink more milk than usual. Do you think I should give him less solids? Or is his milk intake fine?

Dear Ally
Basically one can use the following quantities to calculate how much milk a baby should be having: 1) Between 6 and 8 months, babies should drink 150 ml/kg of body weight per day. So multiply your baby's weight in kg (for example 7 kg) with 150 = 1 050 ml per day. 2) Between 9 and 12 months the milk intake of babies can be reduced to about 500 ml per day provided the baby is eating other protein and calcium-rich foods like yoghurt and lean meat, eggs, etc. From what you say, your son is only drinking 450 ml of milk a day, which is half the amount required at this age and until he is at least 9 months old. I would suggest that you give him smaller portions of the weaning foods and increase his milk intake to at least 1000 ml a day to ensure that he develops strong bones and teeth. Once he is 9 months old you can decrease the milk intake to 500 ml a day and correspondingly increase his food intake once more.