Posted by: Tania | 2010-01-08

Forced to divorce

Good day

I need advise please.My inlaws are forcing my husband to divorced me, saying that I forced him to marry me, they say he should say I forced him into marriage and my husband was diagnosed with bipolar, but before and after we got married we went to the doctor and assessed him, she said he was mentally stable. now they took him away from me, I am not allowed to talk to him, he is locked away and they took his phone away from him. they brought his ex-girlfriend, who is now married to stay with him. so that I dont get access to him. The woman is calling and sending sms'  s treathning me. He children from previous relationship are also not being taken care of. I am responsible for them. The parents took all his assetts. what should I do.

Expert ImageDivorce support expert

Dear Tania,

this is a very unusual and disturbing situation. What has husband got to say about this? Bipolar is a condition that can be successfully treated and managed if well monitored. It's beside me that the parents are "locking" him up. As an adult he has rights. What concerns me though is that he doesn't seem to be able to stand for himself. You should be able to speak to your husband. If the parents are truly keeping him away, you may want to ask the police to escort you to have access and mostly to establish why your husband is being locked away.

Posted by: Tania | 2010-01-08

He cannot stand up to his parents, he is scared of them. yet he tells me he loves me and everything and he tells me that they forced him to go to the lawyers to file for divorce, I think they blackmailing him somehow. this is not the first time they forced him to go to the police to open a case for me, saying I have taken money from his account and believe he did, and next thing he calls me and tell me everything, those people are evil.

Reply to Tania