Question
Posted by: Shaz | 2008/06/20

For CS

Hi CS

How is your mom doing?? You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Thanks so much, Shaz. She took the transfer well, and seemed relieved at first. But as usually happens with an old person when in new surroundings, especially at night, she grew restless and anxious that night, so they have her mild sedation. I like to work with absolute minimum sedation, as yesterday when I visited she couldn't recognize us for the first time ever, and kept dropping off, though obviously strugling to stay awake. I hope she'll adjust to the sedation ( they're trying Serenace / haloperidol, which they are used to, and not yet the Risperdal which I prefer and which suited her beautifully --- but we'll see ). Fortunately, so far as I can see, the Sungardens Hospice is avery nice environment, and the nurses I have met have been very pleasant and competent. We're still aiming to get her back home next week.
There are aspects of Hospice methods which we could all apply in other situations. Whereas the Woundcare nurse I got in to see her when bedsores first began to threaten was efficient, she was rough and prescriptive. I mentioned that she likes guava juice, and she says : "No, she mustn't have any -- it's not good for wound healing !" ( as a great source of vitamin C, I doubt that ) --- and even in small amounts it gives her pleasure. Hospice says --- whatever she enjoys, she can have.
And whereas the WOundcare sister insisted she must be admited to a Home for at least 2 weeks, but couldn't tell me what that would achieve, at Hospice we assess he situation and what needs to be achieved, and plan for her to stay just long enough to achieve those aims. How absurd to prescribe a duration rather than a destination !
The wounds are looking better, though there's a severe shortage of an apparently excellent stuff called Novogel, a sort of jelly for putting on such wounds that hastens healing and gives great comfort. Found a single 30 x 30 sheet of it at another Pretoria hospital, and bought it --- R 470. Now there's a jelly we won't have for lunch ! But if it works -- it's worth it.
I wish more people would volunteer at, and provide financial support and donations to good places like Hospices !

1
Posted by: M | 2008/06/20

I agree CS, I work at a Hospice and the care and love the staff provide are amazing. The philosophy of Hospice is to add joy and 'life' to patients days and is a very holistic kind of care, meaning they provide spiritual care, counselling to patients and families, and of course the medical attention they require. We rely heavily on donors to run our organisation because we provide a free service to the community. And the care is amazing, despite this. We also take in patients of any religion and provide the spiritual care applicable to them.
There are a lot of volunteers out there that support us but unfortunately it seems to be a trend of older people. The youth are not really aware of Hospice, and I think awareness needs to be made of this to the new generation.
God Bless you and your family CS.

Reply to M