Posted by: Blaah | 2009-04-01

Foot Injury or growth

My LabXChowXAlsation was favouring his foot last week
now he is a very boisterous dog and sometimes injures himself jumping at the gate and the walls and playing in general

on inspection i noticed his main pad was swollen and red with a bump coming out between his toes on the top

i noticed no puncture or cats so i left it as it was not painful but more uncomfortable
now the pad is better but the bump between the toes has become MUCH bigger there isn' t a head and it doesn' t seen to bug him much (except the constant checking by mommy)

Should i have it lanced and see if it is an abcess
or should i just leave it
it has been two weeks now but he its in any pain and it doesn' t seem to worry him unless i want to look at it but that is more because he gets all excited and silly more than anything else.

Taking into account he is a rather large dog and doesn' t really like going to the vet and is very hard to restrain so we try not to take him unless it is necessary

Dear Blaah

Get some hibiscrub from a chemist and scrub the area with a dilution twice daily for a week. If no better go to a vet.

Posted by: Blaah | 2009-04-02

Thanks Guys
it has gotten a dark mark near the top so i think it may be a thorn working its way through his paw

Chill (good to chat to you again) i will give your suggestion a try for a bit and give my vet a call as well so he knows whats up,

Lycan is a monster to control, though he is very well trained(wouldn' t say that), smart little sh*t actually, he just gets very excited and rolls and bounces every where. I am the only one that can really control him, and calm him. After his preformances and a couple of hard commands he eventually sits still unless you give the wrong signal (like being nervous of him) and it starts again lol Ai at least at home he is a star with his training.

he is now a powerful 40 kgs and very well known in the neighbourhood as the meanest dog on the block, shame cos he is actually such a love, just preforms at the gate like a crazy animal. After reading marley and me he has been a joy to train and teach, i wouldn' t give him up for the world even though he has cost me thousands in landscaping  ) still think he has a chip missing on his onboard computer.
The vet is very proud of his development and how well he is doing for such an odd looking dog we get alot of compliments on how beautiful and powerful he is which we are glad after the rickets saga
the brood is doing well, got two little boy cats last year that we rescued from being drowned by some drunken low lives, unfortunately lost the one when it accidently got out the house and got hit by a car. But he lived a very spoiled 8 months longer than he would have lived. we had to spend several nights nursing him when we got him or he would have died from starvation and dehydration. His brother is a hefty 5 kgs at 10 months :) and we were blessed with another rescue from kitten haven to keep him company.

So nice to visit Cyber vet and see some of the old regulars and get thier advice and support.

Thanks again

Reply to Blaah
Posted by: jax | 2009-04-02

ok, not trying to worry you too much, but as a rule, any bumps and lumps that DONT hurt are more likely to be serious than those that are sore. Best get it checked asap?

Reply to jax
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-01

Such lumps are definitely not normal, so personally I think I' d recommend you have it checked out. It may be something simple, but what if it isn' t?

Tell you what - while you' re deciding, try this: scrub it with some liquid betadine (cotton wool pad), but scrub it quite hard, a couple of times a day. I remember one of my long-ago dogs having a little lump on his nose, and the vet told me to do that - it got smaller and disappeared.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009-04-01

Hi Blaah

Just wanted to say hi.
Lycan must be a big boy by now.
How is the rest of the brood?
Sorry I do not have much advice on the opaw issue.

Also got a labxalsation. She is a gem but quiet a strong personality. Does not like being told what to do and will look you straight in the eye and bark at you.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Blaah | 2009-04-01

cats i meant cuts and he isn' t in any pain
Ai typing things in a hurry is bad idea

Reply to Blaah