Posted by: Louise | 2009-05-07

Foot Injury

I injured my foot by running outdoors. It felt like a cramp, and I continued running after that. A few days later, the side of my foot turned blue and was quite swollen. It' s not painful when I walk, just after a run. But it feels like constant pressure is being put on the foot. Weird feeling. It' s been 3 weeks now and my foot is still blue and I can' t run properly. Is this a serious injury? I am using Voltaren Gel at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Louise

There are so many different structures that could be involved, it would help to know which side of your foot turned blue and swollen. Anyway, if that area is still blue and painful after 3 weeks it should be properly checked out. It could be anything from a fracture to a sprain, I suggest you go and see a physio who will be able to make a diagnosis or refer you for the appropriate tests. Voltaren Gel will help with the swelling and pain.