Question
Posted by: shel | 2008/09/24

foot crushed no feeling

both my husband' s fibia and tibia were crushed at his foot area as a result of a bike accident four months ago. it was so bad that doctors were not certain if they were going to be able to save it.he' s had a few operations and goes for regular phusio. the problem is that he still has no feeling in his foot. he has terrible pins and needles to the extent that he wants no one touching it and is in agony when I wipe it for him.
his orthopod does not sya a nything about it and he cannot get an answer about whether he will get the feeling back. i am worried about this. is this something that happens? does it take this long for feeling to come back? what happens if the feeling does not come back?

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Shel

It sounds from your description that there was extensive damage to the area and there is a chance there was damage to the nerves. It could also be that the area is still inflammed which could also stop the nerves from working properly. The best thing to do is to see a neurologist and have a nerve conductivity test which should be able to tell if the nerves are damaged or not.

Chris