Posted by: Mitch | 2010-10-24

Foot and ankle

Hi a little while ago while doing pre season rugby traning. The next morning after training I got a pain underneath my one foot right in the middle that it hurt every time I walked.Then after a couple days it almost completely subsided but then I played on that weekend and the pain spread up the outside of my calf which I just thought was just over compensating for my foot. But since then (4 weeks ago) I have got a recurring pain in my ankle that it just feels weak especially when i rotate it to the side. The pain is mainly by the arch and is mainly there when I run. Can you help?

Hi Mitch

I think you need to see someone about it - I hate to pass the buck, but it sounds to me like an injury, aggravated by subsequent training, and as you correctly point out, compensation. Therefore, it's a little more complex than simply saying "take some anti-inflammatories and see how it is by next week".

I suspect that you've hurt or strained a tendon or ligament, probably as a result of ramping up the training preseason, and in the absence of recovery, it's been referred elsewhere, to the calf and now the ankle.

Therefore, the best thing is to see a biokineticist or a physio, have them diagnose and then treat, and then at least you know that you're doing the right exercise. Otherwise it's just guess work.