Posted by: Lilly | 2009-07-27

Please can somebody inform me about the different foods that' s allowable for my son to eat, I need names - not the package contents, I work almost 24/7 for Pathologists and don' t have the time to go and read package insert. Please help!

Dear Lilly
Research indicates that diets that are free of all preservatives, colourants and flavourants do benefit children with ADHD. In addition it is a good idea to increase the intake of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in the diet of children with ADHD. I do not have a copy of such a diet, so would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assist you with the additive-free diet, but still ensure that your child gets all the nutrients he needs for normal growth and development. To read more about diet and ADHD, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then do a Search for the articles I wrote last year on "DO WE NEED A BAN ON CERTAIN FOOD ADDITIVES?" and "DIET FOR A HEALTHY NERVOUS SYSTEM- DIET & ADHD". If you want to give your child a diet that is free of preservatives, colourants and flavourants then you would need to use only unprocessed foods, e.g. fruit, vegetables, meat, fish and eggs prepared at home, home baked bread and home prepared legumes and plain starches like pasta, maize grits, crushed wheat and unsifted maize meal, plus pure oils like olive oil.