Question
Posted by: sukie | 2011/05/22

food to eat - according to blood test

lHi there

I would please like some advice, i am slighty overweight 30 year old woman. Went to GP for help with losing weight after various blood test he said that my results show i am insuline resistant, i have high cholestrol and very high levels of acid in blood. He gave me glocophage. but i am not sure what i am allowed to eat. He just said no tomato, nothing with flour,nothing fatty no sugar

please help what can i eat

Dear Sukie
Because you have been diagnosed with insulin resistance, high cholesterol and uric acid, and the dr has prescribed Glucophage for you, I should like to recommend that you see a registered dietitian. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, Glucophage and other conditions such as overweight and the raised cholesterol and uric acid, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise that you can enjoy (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). Start slowly and for a short period and then work on increasing how long and intensively you exercise as you lose weight and get fitter.

1

Dear Sukie