Question
Posted by: Heidi Meyer | 2010-07-20

Food that promote bone healing

Good day

Can you please advize me on food that promote bone growth and which food to avoid. My husband broke his leg and after 2 months the x-rays showed that there were no bone growth. I have found a couple of examples, but they more American based. I am looking for something available on the South-African market.

Heidi

Dear Heidi
Bone growth depends on an individual's calcium, phosphorus, vitamin D and general nutritional status, and age (bone growth is slower in older persons). Your hubby should discuss the use of calcium and vit D supplements with the orthopaedic surgeon who is treating him. Dietary sources of calcium are primarily milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses. Vitamin D is produced by the human body if you expose the skin to at least 30 min of sunlight every day. Additional bone growth stimulating medications include products like bisphosphonates (e.g. Fosamax, Osteobon, etc), which are prescribed for conditions like osteoporosis. Once again the orthopaedic surgeon needs to prescribe such medications and any hormonal preparations that may help with bone formation.
I do hope that your hubby's leg will start healing now.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-07-20

Dear Heidi