Question
Posted by: Jay | 2012/07/18

food supplements

I am wheat and lactose intolerant and find it very difficult to manage my lunch meals. Breakfast and dinner are relatively easy as I can prepare something at home however at work it is particularly difficult. We are not allowed to eat foods that may have an aroma, so leftovers from the night before aren’ t an option. I also can’ t run out and get a sandwich or takeaways like others may do.
I have been considering taking a meal supplement like Ensure Enlive everyday for lunch. Is it okay to have a meal supplement every day? And if so what would be a good one...

Dear Jay
I agree that your situation at work is really difficult when it comes to eating lunch, particularly because you are wheat and lactose intolerant, so having a sandwich or yoghurt and fruit, is not an option. I was looking at a sachet of Ensure that I received the other day at a Workshop and the label indicates that Ensure is gluten- and lactose-free (i.e. suitable for patients with gluten and lactose intolerances). I just wonder if one sachet made up to 230 ml as directed which contains 230 kcal or 966 kJ will be sufficient energy to sustain you? Adult women who are not trying to lose weight require approx. 2000 kcal or 8400 kJ per day, which works out to about 2800 kJ per meal if you are having 3 meals a day. In addition, patients who need to use liquid meal supplements sometimes complain that they get bored with having the same liquid meal day after day. You can probably provide some variation in your diet by using different flavours of Ensure. Otherwise there is no reason why you cannot use a product such as Ensure for your lunch.

1

Dear Jay