Question
Posted by: Kate | 2010/03/12

Food suggestions for HIV patient

Hi there.
My domestic worker is HIV+ and over the last couple of months has lost a lot of weight.
She comes to me 3 days a week and I have started making a smoothie with fruit and yoghurt in the morning and have made a bland chicken soup for her for lunch.
Any recommendations for bland but healthy foods that I can make up for her to help her regain her strength and put on some weight.
She is on ARV''s and also shakes a lot, either low blodd sugar or blood pressure.
I am so blessed to have this wonderful woman in my life but I feel so helpless.

Dear Kate
Weightloss is one of the most serious side-effects of HIV/AIDS which needs to be counteracted to help the patient to fight this dreaded disease. Patients need high energy and protein intakes to assist them to gain weight. Unfortunately the disease often causes diarrhoea and infections of the gastrointestinal tract that make it difficult to select suitable foods. The most useful guidelines on a diet for patients with HIV/AIDS can be obtained by contacting the SA Sugar Association for their Booklet on 'Food Choices for People Living with HIV' from The Nutrition Department, SA Sugar Association, P O Box 700, Mount Edgecombe, 4300, or phone: (031) 508-7000, or send an e-mail to: nutrition@sasa.org.za for excellent information on diets for HIV. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'DietDoc's articles' to find the article I wrote awhile ago on "Update on HIV/AIDS & Diet" for some further information.
Holding thumbs for both you and your domestic worker.

1

Dear Kate