Posted by: Pixie | 2013-02-19

Food reactions

I have been using rice or corn cakes for snacks (2-3 a day) instead of bread/provita or other wheat products. I am trying to go as gluten free as possible.
Lunch and dinner usually contact some kind of carb in small amounts (brown rice, potato), about 100g protein (I eat a lot of ostrich in preference to other red meat due to the low fat, low cholesterol and high protein content) and there is always veggies - I use frozen vegs due to price and longetivity, should I change to fresh to get better fibre content?

Now for about 4-5 days I havent " Gone"  properly - just small pellets. Eventually yesterday I took laxatives. Can you tell me why the laxatives get the tummjy going and then it goes to the other extreme? I was up half the night and with terrible cramps which kicked my nausea sensitivity into high gear.

I have started adding 2 tsp benefiber to my tea twice a day.

I also tried Quinoa once but both my hubby and I ended up with bad tummy cramps and upset stomachs - can one be allergic to quinoa?

I really want to eat healthily without resorting to a bunch of herbal things that taste terrible and without having a boring diet. I have not had coffee for two months neither chocolate or cake (except for one muffin last month). I also don''t eat crisps - rather flavoured rice cakes... I have lost about 3 kg since going off gluten (just one slice toast a day)

Dear Pixie
Let me try to answer your various questions. If you have a true gluten allergy then it is essential to avoid all foods that contain gluten. If you are not gluten sensitive or do not suffer from coeliac disease, then it is a pity to cut out foods such as high-fibre bread and cereals because this usually leads to severe constipation, as you have experienced. You can use frozen vegetables for the sake of convenience, as the freezing process will not really affect dietary fibre content. Laxatives contain compounds that increase the peristaltic movements of the digestive tract and/or the water content of the bowel so that the faeces become more mobile. Overuse of laxatives can lead to loss of normal bowel function. It is possible to be allergic to any food/drink including quinoa.
I would recommend that you discuss these dietary problems with a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area),so that you can determine if you do have a true gluten sensitivity or not. The dietitian will also assist with restoring your bowel function.