Question
Posted by: Purple | 2010/11/03

food poisining during pregnancy

My gynae and his receptionist are both on leave and the other gynae at his practice has such a horrid receptionist that I don''t want to speak to her or to him.

I''m 12 weeks pregnant and have stopped vomiting, though I still have a little nausea which I''m managing to control fine with marie biscuits and by sucking sparkles and ensuring I eat small healthy snacks at least every 2 hours and sipping plenty of water. I had been vomiting uncontrollably (almost constantly in the mornings and evenings with a break over lunch time). I was put on Zofran for the vomiting which although expensive reallly helped, as both Emex and vomifine did not stop the vomiting (or even reduce the number of times I vomited).

However, yesterday had a tuna salad for lunch, which I''d unthinkingly forgotten to put in the office fridge. Last night I got a severe headache and started vomiting. I''ve had food poisining once after eating at a restaurant, and this felt very similar. I did not have a temperature (but that might be because I took panado for the headache). Once I started feeling better I did manage to drink diluted apple juice and to eat a bland supper.

Is there any risk to my baby from this suspected food poisining, and if there is, is there anything I can do about it?

If the vomiting has settled now it is most likely related to something you ate. There should not be any effects on the baby.

1