Question
Posted by: Clair | 2010/04/03

Food labelling

It is with great interest that I read the article on the new regulations for food labeling. If there isn''t already, pardon my ignorance, do you think there will ever be regulations forcing meat, milk, and egg producers to disclose the presence of trace growth hormones, antibiotics etc? Certain milk producers are already, hopefully truthfully, advertising that their products don''t contain these, which is great, but the fact that other food producers aren''t, almost implies the opposite. With four boys I am worried about hormones etc in meat and milk...

Dear Clair
So far the new labelling regulations do not specify that the presence of antibiotics or growth hormones must be listed in dairy products. We are still waiting for Part 2 of the regulations, so we will have to see what happens. In regard to being worried about hormones, I am much more concerned about the presence of female hormones in our water supply which arise from the millions of women using female hormones for contraception and HRT. Once we are forced to use recycled water as our water supplies run out we will all be exposed to oestrogens and progesterones not only in water, but all food products that are grown or produced with this water. In addition we already have very high levels of hormone disruptors in our water supply which are derived from pesticides, etc. In certain areas where recycled water is already being used, the birth rate has dropped dramatically.
How this problem is to be tackled is still unknown because home filtering of water does not remove the hormone molecules and commercial filtering at the recycling plants is still so expensive that it is not used.

1

Dear Clair