Question
Posted by: Student | 2011-08-29

Food Intolerence/Allergies??

Hi Doc,

I''m a 22 male student suffering from a severe sinusitis but I''m currently on zyrtec tab.

I''ve noticed something recently. After few days of not eating oats and cheese. I''ve started to feel great ''WITHOUT zyrtec of course''. So, i wondering does this means I might have some food allergies/intolerance to certain food, esp. wheat and dairy products.

What are the chances that my sinus problem is caused by wheat and cheese??

Dear Student
Food allergies and intolerances can cause symptoms like sinusitis and any number of foods can potentially trigger this type of reaction. Until you have had allergy tests, it is however, not certain that your sinusitis is being caused by oats and cheese. You may have been reacting to anyone of thousands of other allergens in your surroundings (such as dust, house mites, pollen, animal hairs, air-fresheners, chemicals, etc. So to be certain, I would suggest that you ask the dr who is treating your sinusitis to send you for allergy tests so that you avoid the offending allergens which may or may not be associated with foods. Self-diagnosis can lead to you cutting out essential foods, which could lead to deficiencies. For example, if you cut out all dairy products, you will also be cutting out your best sources of bioavailable calcium in the diet and would need to take calcium supplements to compensate for the lack of dairy in the diet.
So ask the dr to test you to be sure which factors you need to avoid.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-08-29

Dear Student